Burscough 2-3 AFC Liverpool

A second half resurgence was instrumental in AFC Liverpool claiming all 3 points at Burscough.

The Reds, playing in their yellow away strip, took some time to get going in the early stages, and nearly went a goal down after just 3 minutes as Allanson Canache slipped in at the back post, but the Linnets’ forward could only fashion a cushioned shot which was well saved by Jack Cookson in the Reds goal.

Burscough took the lead on 9 minutes as Chad Whyte beat the offside trap, and found himself in acres of space, and he only had to send a deft lob over the approaching Cookson to open the scoring.

The Reds struggled to make headway in midfield, but gradually began to find a way through to their forward line. Debutant Rhys Hardacre had a shot on 12 minutes that was narrowly wide, and Sonny Parr tested the keeper a few minutes later, but Burscough were unlucky not to increase their lead as Whyte sent a free header over the bar and Jamie Clark’s free kick hit the side netting.

In the 34th minute AFC grabbed an equaliser as Chris Brady got on the end of a searching cross and slotted home past Joshua Samberg.

The visitors were growing into the game, but their good work looked to have been undone as Chad Whyte was afforded another free header from a corner 2 minutes before half time and Burscough had a 2-1 lead.

The Reds were back in it straight from the kick off, and a throw-in to the edge of the box led to a defensive error from the home side, and Jay Howell sneaked in to equalise on the stroke of half time with a composed shot.

The second half saw the visitors take control of the match. Rhys Hardacre was replaced by his brother Zach, and he linked up well with striker Elliot Nevitt, who made an impressive debut for the Reds.

AFC took the lead on 52 minutes, winning a corner that was taken by Drew Lewis. A deflection fell to Callum Edgar in the six yard box and the centre back hit it on the half volley to smash it into the net.

Zach Hardacre could have made the Reds safe five minutes later, with a deft turn and shot, but Samberg was just able to palm it around the post at full stretch.

The Reds kept up the pressure as another corner saw Calum Woods blast his shot over the bar, and Elliot Nevitt’s run into the box was denied by a last ditch tackle. Mason Nevitt then hit a long range effort over, and Chris Anderson, newly appointed player/coach for the Reds, made an excellent run at goal and nearly converted at the near post, but for another good reaction save from Samberg.

In the latter stages, Burscough tried for a last ditch equaliser, earning several free kicks that caused few problems for a newly-confident AFC defence. The Reds were able to manage the game efficiently to the final whistle and earn a vital 3 points in their fight for Hallmark Security Premier Division survival.

This entry was posted in First Team Match Report. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Official AFC Liverpool Partners

Andrew Neary
Associated Wedding Cars
Hard Hat
Lions Home
Shankly Hotel
SRC Taxis
U26 Wear
Viva Waste
Liverpool Homeless