Abbey Hey 3-3 AFC Liverpool

AFC Liverpool made hard work of another away trip, but battled back once again to share the points.

New signing George Lomax opened the scoring for the visitors after only 6 minutes, turning the ball into the net from Joseph Whittington’s header.

Chris Stammers’ side looked to be in control of the game until mid-way through the first half when Abbey Hey began to gain the upper hand in the middle of the park.

The home side hit the post following a corner just after the half hour mark, and the ball was switched across the field to Daniel McLoughlin, who capitalised on the chaos to shoot through a crowd, beating AFC keeper Jack Cookson at the near post.

Both teams cancelled each other out for the remainder of the half with the score remaining 1-1.

It was the home side who took the upper hand in the rainstorm that accompanied kick off in the second half. Another shot cannoned off the post and was put out for a corner. Abbey Hey kept up the pressure and eventually found Nathan Edwards wide left of goal. He rifled in a shot in the 56th minute which was deflected into the AFC net.

Four minutes later Abbey Hey’s captain Andrew Smith received another corner in a similar position, and hit an almost identical strike to make it 3-1 to the home side. Game over… or so they thought.

On 66 minutes, good work from Kevin Edgar kept the ball in play and allowed Reds captain Michael Boyle to go for goal. Edgar continued on the overlap and received a perfectly weighted ball which he calmly slotted underneath Elliot Wynne in the Abbey Hey goal.

After looking down and out, AFC Liverpool were now in the ascendancy but they needed a slice of luck for the equaliser as Lomax directed a header towards goal aiming for Edgar, but it hit an Abbey Hey player and was turned into the net for 3-3.

A cynical foul on Adam Weston sparked a fracas between the two sides resulting in a dismissal for each team. Goalscorer McLoughlin and Calum Woods, who had been recently introduced as an AFC substitute, both left the field.

Both teams had late chances to take all 3 points with Whittington firing over the bar for the Reds in the 90th minute, and an Abbey Hey strike being deflected just over the bar with Cookson beaten. Eventually, after nearly seven minutes of time added on testing the nerves of both sets of supporters, the teams had to settle for a hard-earned point.
Full match report to follow


This entry was posted in First Team Match Report. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Official AFC Liverpool Partners

Andrew Neary
Associated Wedding Cars
Hard Hat
Lions Home
Shankly Hotel
SRC Taxis
U26 Wear
Viva Waste
Liverpool Homeless