Youth & Ladies Weekend Round Up

Away ShirtIn the Walton & Kirkdale JFL, the Under 8’s beat Litherland Reds 8-1 and the Under 9’s went down 3-5 to Quarry Green Guards.

In the South Liverpool & District JFL, the Under 11’s lost 0-3 to Marshalls.

Both of the Under 15 teams had a successful weekend. On Saturday, they won 5-0 against Knowsley South Colts in the St Helens & Rainhill League Cup. Manager Joe Wright stated the lads passed the ball around well and got some good goals from Jack, Danny, Connor plus two from Tom. On Sunday, the lads cemented their spot at the top of the Merseyside & Halewood JFL with a 4-0 win against Kirkby Woodpecker, with the goals coming courtesy of Conor, Niall, Danny and Gerard.

The Under 16’s were successful against their counterparts from Marine in the quarter finals of the Adam Bell cup, coming away with a 4-1 victory to set up a semi final against Burscough.

In the Southport & District League, the Saturday Under 21’s were involved in a high scoring affair as they went down 5-12 to Devonshire, while in the LCFA Sunday Intermediate Cup, the Sunday Under 21’s had to battle through extra time against Quarry Green before emerging as 5-2 victors. Reds fan Archstanton provides the report:

AFC eventually coasted to victory in this cup tie, but nearly threw it away with a dreadful start to the second half after dominating the first half.

AFC were in control from the first minute when a header was cleared off the line from a corner and on fifteen minutes a one on one was well saved by the Quarry Green keeper. However AFC’s only goal came from a penalty when, after a goalmouth scramble, a goal bound shot was handled on the line and the penalty was placed in the corner by Naden. AFC though couldn’t convert two other fine chances near the end of the half and went to the break only a goal up.

Quarry Green, who hadn’t created anything in the first half, flew out the blocks in the second. Twice in three minutes they broke through and were thwarted by great saves from Morgan in the AFC goal. Unfortunately both saves fell to Quarry Green players who finished well to put the hosts in front after 55 minutes. AFC were stunned and the game became an even contest with neither team creating much but with five minutes to go an AFC free kick fell to Naden, whose snap shot hit the post and the luck was with AFC as the rebound fell to Jones, who slotted home the equaliser.

Extra time was a one sided affair as AFC took control with a goal after five minutes. After a delay in play following a foul on an AFC player and a minor scuffle, the Quarry Green keeper was arguing with his own defence and as he wandered back to his goal, AFC took the free kick from their own penalty area. Naden collected the ball as it dropped and lobbed the keeper, who was still wandering back from thirty yards.

Again Quarry Green created very little and Sweeney wrapped up the game with two fine finishes late on in the second half of the extra period. It was a well deserved victory for the lads and they’ve been drawn to play away at Lancashire Ice in the next round on December 1st at the JMO Sports Park in Skelmersdale, kick off 11am.

There was also success this weekend for AFC Liverpool Ladies as they beat Winsford Ladies 5-2 in the North West Women’s Regional League Division One South.

This entry was posted in Ladies News, Youth News. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

Official AFC Liverpool Partners

Andrew Neary
Associated Wedding Cars
Hard Hat
Lions Home
Shankly Hotel
SRC Taxis
U26 Wear
Viva Waste
Liverpool Homeless